Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Blog Reflection #2 for Lib 204

Barely three weeks have gone by, and it's time for another post to my blog. What to say, what to say...

I guess I'll start with commenting on Dena's points made on her blog - about the beneficial uses of it. She mentioned Amazon.com, or travel sites as an example of ways to benefit from the posts of other users. Book reviews and ratings from other people have been very useful to me on sites like Amazon. So, going back to those famous last words from my previous post, maybe this library class will prove me wrong...

I have to admit that in the past couple of weeks I have become a closet poster on a screenwriting site called Zhura.com. The site is for writers who are looking for feedback and words of advice on their writing endeavors. I am currently in writing limbo, having finished a draft of one script and not sure what to tackle for my next, so I've been alleviating the writer's block by reading other work and posting what I hope is constructive criticism.

The site has its benefits as a sort of new writers support group, but... There are enough opinionated and confrontational posts among members to remind me of my blogging reservations.

Anyway, I think I'm a little off topic. This post is supposed to reflect on the readings for the week, and our own experiences with reference librarians. I'm one of those people who has wandered the library for hours, digging for information longer than I think I should without the help of a reference librarian.  I'm not apt to readily seek out the help of a reference librarian for several reasons:
A - there's no one at the help desk.
B- there's people at a desk, but I'm not sure if it's the help desk.
C- the person at the help desk doesn't seem to see me.
D- I don't know how to explain the information I'm looking for.

I also think that some librarians see me using the online catalog somewhat efficiently (because I will go straight to the catalog if I can find it), and therefore assume I don't need help. To some degree, I understand this - helping the people who ask first may be a way to prioritize the work load. But, if I were a reference librarian, I think (hope) I might understand this aspect of patron frustration and therefore make myself more available.

I like the ideals of the reference interview, and hope one day that I would be able to put it into good practice.

4 comments:

Michele-library204 said...

I can relate to your ABCD points. I've observed that many students struggle to use real books to research and write essays in time for their classes. Students seem afraid to talk to the librarians. It would be so simple just to approach one and mention the purpose of their paper, and be pointed in the right direction.

Vanessa said...

HI. Interesting post.

Good luck on your screen writing/writer's block.

khink said...

Yes, its nice to share one's thoughts and constructive criticism on one's own blog. to feel free with expressiong ones ideas.
However, I totally agree with your views on opinionated and confrontation posts among members. I would like to feel free when sharing ideas and knowlege. But with your wisdom, I would use a little reservation. Just a wee bit.

Christine said...

I am the same way when I go to a local library. I go straight to the library's search index and search for what I am looking for. I only ask the librarian for help if I can't find it for the life for me.